SAN ANTONIO (AP) A mother of three from Texas says she was forced to take her toddler to a San Antonio hotel room and was later handcuffed to a chair in the basement of her home, when she called 911 for help.
The girl died Jan. 25, 2015.
Police say they did not have a homicide investigation to pursue because of the lack of a crime.
She is now suing the hotel for negligence, claiming that her child suffered brain damage.
The hotel is appealing the decision to the Texas Supreme Court.
San Antonio police spokeswoman Lt.
Heather O’Donnell says that at no time was a police officer present when the incident occurred.
The child’s death remains under investigation.
She says police are conducting an investigation into whether the hotel’s management or a third party made a mistake.
A family member says the hotel had been operating under a “family friendly” policy, but the hotel declined to comment on the lawsuit.
The Texas Tribune thanks its sponsors.
The lawsuit, filed Jan. 29 in San Antonio Municipal Court, says the room the woman was in was booked to hold a family event on Jan. 26, the date of the death.
The man who booked the room said the girl’s mother had been upset with the hotel after they did a party at the home of a relative.
The family friend said the hotel has been in financial trouble for years, and that a number of guests have filed complaints about the hotel.